IG vs The Force Commanders Chainsword and Storm Shield

Strategy and L2P topics.
Strum
Level 0

Postby Strum » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 2:42 am

Title says it all, in t1 id the FC gets this wargear all ranged damage is reduced to him by 1/5.

"Equips the Force Commander with a Storm Shield in place of his pistol. Reduces the Force Commander’s received ranged damage by 20%, increases melee damage of the chainsword by 15.68%, increases health by 100, and grants the Defend ability, giving further resistance to ranged damage and suppression immunity to the hero and nearby allied infantry."

Defend.
Take up a defensive stance, reducing received ranged damage by 50% and granting suppression immunity to the Force Commander and allied infantry in radius 22. Affected units have their speed reduced by 35%. Drains 4 energy per second.

Combined with the defend ability further reducing the ranged dmg done to him and nearby units by 50% he is very hard to kill by any IG setup. The reduced speed makes one of your only options running away and as far as i know the IG have no energy draining abilities at all. Killing the FC becomes impractical at best with 70% ranged resistance on top of whatever his hero armor gives him. In T2 this is a big less of an issue but early on I am stumped.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Any wise words?
Crewfinity
Level 4

Re: IG vs The Force Commanders Chainsword and Storm Shield

Postby Crewfinity » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 3:29 am

with what hero?

Defend drains energy as long as its active, so you could try to work with that. for example, have a HWT covering your front, and when he comes in with tacs and FC with defend, use spotters to reduce his ranged output while his energy drains away on the FC. he's very slow so if you have layered suppression he probably wont have enough energy to push against both.
Strum
Level 0

Postby Strum » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 3:44 am

As any hero, but really the FC himself is not an issues with defend active it's the tics and scounts he comes with. However killing hom during this ability is out of the question.

It seems odd to buy more than a HWT and a spotter to counter a 20 power piece of wargear.
lolzarz
Level 3

Postby lolzarz » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 10:45 am

Strum wrote:As any hero, but really the FC himself is not an issues with defend active it's the tics and scounts he comes with. However killing hom during this ability is out of the question.

It seems odd to buy more than a HWT and a spotter to counter a 20 power piece of wargear.

It doesn't matter because you'll want both anyway.
WEE AR DA SPEHSS MAHREENS! WE AR DA EMPRAH'S FUREH!
Sneery_Thug
Level 2

Postby Sneery_Thug » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 11:53 am

FC with SS will most likely build 2 tacs. I wouldn't rely on a heavy weapon squad in this case. But rather build 2 sentinels and spotters. So if you play as Commissar or Inq - just disrupt tacs with your spotters, melee them with your hero and focus fire this one tac squad with the rest. Believe me, tacs will bleed despite of defend. While you do this, FC will run out of energy and you will force him off.
If he has devs, then move lil back to force him out of dev's range and drop a smoke shall with spotters.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 12:22 pm

I would be very wary of HWT/spotter plays because you will have no detector and thus be at risk of point blank nades form infiltrated scouts which is very likely to wipe your HWT outright in T1 and be dangerous nonetheless in T2.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
lolzarz
Level 3

Postby lolzarz » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 1:08 pm

Torpid wrote:I would be very wary of HWT/spotter plays because you will have no detector and thus be at risk of point blank nades form infiltrated scouts which is very likely to wipe your HWT outright in T1 and be dangerous nonetheless in T2.

Well yes, but would it be possible to substitute the mortar strike for ol' reliable?
WEE AR DA SPEHSS MAHREENS! WE AR DA EMPRAH'S FUREH!
Sneery_Thug
Level 2

Postby Sneery_Thug » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 1:34 pm

Torpid wrote:I would be very wary of HWT/spotter plays because you will have no detector and thus be at risk of point blank nades form infiltrated scouts which is very likely to wipe your HWT outright in T1 and be dangerous nonetheless in T2.

As much I remember, Sentinels are detectors since the last patch.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 2:18 pm

Sneery_Thug wrote:

As much I remember, Sentinels are detectors since the last patch.

Nope, catachans are detectors.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 2:29 pm

Sents have a small detect radius. They are kind of semi detectors
#noobcodex
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 3:40 pm

lolzarz wrote:

Well yes, but would it be possible to substitute the mortar strike for ol' reliable?

I think so and then you wouldn't have to worry so much about ASM either. To be honest the main weakness of the SS is that it necessitates blobbing which in 1v1 especially is quite easy to deal with by just splitting up your forces and getting superior map control. Fighting it head on generally is pretty useless though. It's a strong wargear.
Strum
Level 0

Postby Strum » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 4:34 pm

Torpid wrote:
lolzarz wrote:

I think so and then you wouldn't have to worry so much about ASM either. To be honest the main weakness of the SS is that it necessitates blobbing which in 1v1 especially is quite easy to deal with by just splitting up your forces and getting superior map control. Fighting it head on generally is pretty useless though. It's a strong wargear.

That makes alot of sense in 1v1 but what about team games? Running away is alot less viable on most maps and surrendering a lane due to a bad MU is just awful.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 4:45 pm

Strum wrote:That makes alot of sense in 1v1 but what about team games? Running away is alot less viable on most maps and surrendering a lane due to a bad MU is just awful.

The problem of balancing 3v3 due to its shit map pool...

Yeah, well firstly, don't be afraid on a lot of maps to just swap lanes with an ally just tell them straight up this is a really hard MU for me, I hate it, I'm not going in my lane, go there instead. On a bunch of 3v3 maps that won't make much of a difference due to how close the bases are. It won't work for all of them though and in that case I think 1 sent, 2 gm, hwt/cats are your best bet. Using the ol'reliable and the catachan smoke to stall until the FC runs out of energy. It's better in T2 as you can get a manticore and then defend is largely useless since even with the ranged defence buff it does too much damage due to it not misses since defend slows them down. Plus the manti helps vs the devs.
Strum
Level 0

Postby Strum » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 3:56 am

Alrighty, thank you very much. I guess i'll just try and avoid that match up as best I can for now and spotter sent it when I can't.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”