What´s the actual use of Chaos Terminators?

Strategy and L2P topics.
Andy Garcia
Level 1

What´s the actual use of Chaos Terminators?

Postby Andy Garcia » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 5:45 pm

I have this bad habit of making comparisons of chaos units vs their loyalist counterpart, specially considering youre meant to consider their actual support - unit composition - commander choices etc.

Nevertheless, if anything, there are a few units I cannot comprehend, and chief among them is the chaos termies.

Id like to begin saying their autocannon upgrade is pitiful, the Loyalist one while also mediochre seems to outperform it even with a distinctly lesser damage type and no AoE. Secondly, the arbitrary less-hp-slightly-less-cost because its not loyalist really hits the unit hard since theyre termies and to an extent they´re meant to take some punishment

Now for the actual support they might have. Playing with termies as SM with Lightning claws to mow down units pretty much requires a librarian investment to speed them up, else their stupid slow speed gets them kited hard. and then an infinity gate since youll be teleporting in offensively.

As chaos, you have at best, khornes worship just to speed em up for a limited aoe, or use a chaos sorcerer to warp rift them... maybe with the chaos sorcerer they could work but I see other far more interesting plays.

The only pro I see them vs their loyalist counterparts, is that a single unit has the chance to either go melee or go range, I just see them being bad at either option
Vapor
Level 3

Re: What´s the actual use of Chaos Terminators?

Postby Vapor » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 6:33 pm

The autocannon upgrade is actually solid, it does damage to vehicles as well as infantry. But you really need a sizable army around to support the terminators and draw fire, since as you pointed out they have less HP than the loyalist variety. If you rush t3 or lose units trying to save for terminators, they're not going to do much.
Follow my stream! twitch.tv/frozenvapor100
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 8:05 pm

Chaos Termis Autocanon makes huge amount of dps to all targets including vehicles. The fact they can damage vehicles makes them atleast even to their loyalist counterparts. With SM termis you must chose - high dps against infantry or possibility to do sh*t against vehicles with rocket launcher. Also, as SM you must chose - assault termis or regular (if you play as FC), because only assault termis got lightning claws while chaos termis got both upgrades, and if you do not use FC you have not assault termis at all.
Andy Garcia
Level 1

Postby Andy Garcia » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 8:18 pm

Well I already mentioned that their one pro is that, you get to choose either for a ranged upgrade or a melee one in a single unit but I dont think its that considerable of a pro

32 Autocannon dps (considering the wiki is right) is fairly faaaairly low for a tier 3 unit, and then I would even go ahead and say it feels like its far less dmg than that considering the massive windup between attacks

I have tried the autocannons a lot of times but they still seem underwhelming
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 10:41 pm

32 Autocannon dps (considering the wiki is right) is fairly faaaairly low for a tier 3 unit

Dont know about wiki, but in real life the damage is really really high
lolzarz
Level 3

Postby lolzarz » Sat 31 Jan, 2015 2:13 am

Andy Garcia wrote:I have this bad habit of making comparisons of chaos units vs their loyalist counterpart, specially considering youre meant to consider their actual support - unit composition - commander choices etc.

Nevertheless, if anything, there are a few units I cannot comprehend, and chief among them is the chaos termies.

Id like to begin saying their autocannon upgrade is pitiful, the Loyalist one while also mediochre seems to outperform it even with a distinctly lesser damage type and no AoE. Secondly, the arbitrary less-hp-slightly-less-cost because its not loyalist really hits the unit hard since theyre termies and to an extent they´re meant to take some punishment

U wot m8

Has actual ranged anti-vehicle weapon with splash and fire on the move, no less, and you complain of "pitiful DPS". Try using assault cannon on vehicles or even heavy infantry then come back and say the autocannon isn't better. Then you have demoralize, which stacks, and actually benefits the unit, unlike inspiration. They're not weak.
WEE AR DA SPEHSS MAHREENS! WE AR DA EMPRAH'S FUREH!
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sat 31 Jan, 2015 6:14 am

Chaos terms >> loyalist terms.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sat 31 Jan, 2015 10:59 am

Chaos termie autocannon is comparable to a predator tank autocannon (less damage to vehicles though). So the damage the autocannon puts out is pretty huge. The Cterminator autocannon outdamages the loyalist terminator assault cannon against pretty much everything apart from commanders/subcommanders.

The fact that you can choose between ranged and melee is a great advantage.

Imo Chaos Termies are a great unit. And yes, I main Chaos.
#noobcodex
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Sat 31 Jan, 2015 11:06 am

So, if summarize all what was said there - chaos termis autocanon should be nerfed :P
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 31 Jan, 2015 1:36 pm

Dark Riku wrote:Chaos terms >> loyalist terms.

This.

Better upgrades. Better on-kill effect. Fits better into the chaos composition doubly so with their AV and their ranged damage. Are affected by worship.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 31 Jan, 2015 9:32 pm

Torpid wrote:
Dark Riku wrote:Chaos terms >> loyalist terms.

This.

Better upgrades. Better on-kill effect. Fits better into the chaos composition doubly so with their AV and their ranged damage. Are affected by worship.

^^ these people get it.

I would take that demoralize ability over inspiration any day combined with good ranged damage and the ability to go melee. It's not hard to pop a low hp model with them and have it effect the entire enmy army.I think that LC CTerms do the best with the Sorceror though, because of sigil of the rift and the warp global.
Andy Garcia
Level 1

Postby Andy Garcia » Sun 01 Feb, 2015 9:10 pm

Well thank you all guys for the answers, I guess I was underestimating the autocannons power.
Cheekie Monkie
Level 3

Postby Cheekie Monkie » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 6:36 pm

Next topic: buff loyalist termies pls
Playing truth or dare with Diomedes: You dare? YOU DARE?!
Tinder with Diomedes: THINK YOU ARE MY MATCH?!
Lost Son of Nikhel
Contributor

Postby Lost Son of Nikhel » Fri 20 Feb, 2015 3:33 am

Use Chaos Terminators as a support/debuffer squad in their Vanilla/with Autocannon form. Try to get model kills to trigger Demoralize.

Demoralize not only increases your units' DPS, but decreases the enemy's one. Combined with defensive buffs(Nurgle/Tzeentch Worship, Daemon Shielf) you could make your army very difficult to force off.

With the Autocannon they are a good mobile AV platform which only could be shutdown forcing melee combat with them or with Ability_knockback. Still they are better AV platform with a Havocs/Plague Marines squad.

They can absorb a big chunk of damage but they aren't damage sponges. Put them a Heretics squad as a bodyguard to control dangerous power_melee squads or to support them with worship.

Use their teleport offensively only if you are going to achieve a squad wipe or an enemy vehicle destroyed or if they have enough support. If not, only defensively.

Combine any kind of Chaos Terminators with one or more quick attack squads (ranged or melee) with Bloodlust for extreme DPS and lulz.
"Pater, peccavi in caelum et coram te; iam non sum dignus vocari filius tuus". Dixit autem pater: "manducemus et epulemur, quia hic filius meus mortuus erat et revixit, perierat et inventus est"

There will be no forgiveness for us.
Sturnn
Level 2

Postby Sturnn » Fri 20 Feb, 2015 8:54 am

I also think that they are better - very simple fact - each Chaos Commander gets the same Terminators with the same tools to kill enemy. I still don't understand why only FC gets Assualt Terminators (yeah, maybe becasue with Apoth and and heal they would be unkillable? Well, normal Termies would work the same). Still Assault Terminators >>>>> Normal Termies which shouldnt take place, I mean, they should be able to sunk up the same amount of dmg but AT should deal more dmg, becasue of their weapons.
Chaos doesn't have this problem - u can easly go PC with fist plus Chaos Termies with claws and probobly they are going to kill fc and assault termies :) SM gets powerfull melee unit but only as FC.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”