"Jedi build" and other eldar question

Strategy and L2P topics.
Reaverss
Level 0

"Jedi build" and other eldar question

Postby Reaverss » Sun 23 Jan, 2022 5:03 pm

Hello i just come back recently on dawn of war 2 after years of age of empire and starcraft 2 and i really want to learn everything i can about my main race "eldar" I got a lot of question in my mind specificaly about build order, for exemple on this forum i see a lot people talking about "jedi build" for eldar what does it mean they talk about it but dont detail it soemeone have any idea ?

Also the good thing about this game with the 100 pop is you can plan what army to wanna make. Usually i like to make one of each aspect warrior unit (spider,reaper,dragon,banshee)with the council who made exaclty 100 pop. Do you also try to reach the perfect 100 pop eldar army you have in mind or you simply adapt depend of the matchup and situation ?

What are the best eldar build order for each match up, do you have good link who talk about this ? and who talk about every build order possibl ?

Also the biggest problem i have currently is to know when its better to upgrade your unit or save the money for make just another squad instead,basicly my question is what to choose between quality or quantity ? should i made every squad i want without upgrade for got the full army i want faster then upgrade after or fully upgrade everytime i got a squad ? ,same for the hero its better to upgrade hero or unit first ? what have the biggest impact ?

Ye its a lot of question i know,but i really strugle to find answer about this,i hope you can help me, thanks in advance :)
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Re: "Jedi build" and other eldar question

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sun 23 Jan, 2022 5:54 pm

The Jedi of Eldar is the Warlock. He has robes, leaps into combat, shoots lightning, can warp throw, and all sorts of other cool jedi things.

You purchase units and upgrades depending on what you need. If you don't you're going to be countered and on the backfoot. Choose what makes the most tactical sense. You can make whatever you want if you have a large lead or are more skilled than the opposing player.

New units have more of an impact than upgrades but upgrades cost less and can be done anytime. Usually you want the unit first then upgrades are done to adapt to whatever your situation.

Watch replays to get a sense of what build orders people use. Look for the better players.

https://www.dawnofwar.info/esl/log

Make sure you add people you want to go against to your friends list so you can get a game anytime.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sun 23 Jan, 2022 6:04 pm

The jedi build in my memory is more of a retail thing. It made the Warlock like a one man army.
The closest you come to the jedi build now is with 2 out of the 3 original pieces: Merciless Witchblade & Champion's Robe.
Still pretty solid and tanky, just not as oppressive anymore.
You used to buy Hearth of Darkness, it would restore energy which would fuel the shield you get from the Champions Robe. Making the Warlock ridiculously tanky.
Later on you would get Warp Throw to force push the enemy around. Something you can still do now in Elite.

Your build order should never be the same.
it's dependent on the matchup, map, gamemode, sometimes player even.

Getting to know when to get what is part of the skill to be good in this game.
Only way to get that feeling is lots of practice. Trying to keep track of your enemy eco and trying to think what he is going to do or get next.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P0m ... jOroM/edit
Here is a guide made by Torpid some time ago. Should be still pretty up to date.

You can always also hop in the Discord to get help there and maybe find some sparring partners.
https://discord.gg/f7hRVkHU4Q
Reaverss
Level 0

Postby Reaverss » Sun 23 Jan, 2022 6:34 pm

Thanks both of you for your detailed answer and yours link exactly what i was searching.

A last question got in my mind, when i was playing heavily to dawn of war 2 it was on the first one in 2009 and at this time the speed skill was a basic skill (along with grenade for guardian) on every eldar infantry without the need to search an upgrade just like on dawn of war 1 and 3.

Do you know why not every eldar infantry dont have speed now and why we have to pay an upgrade for got speed ?

It would be more lore friendly to put speed at basic skill for every eldar infantry unit since they mostly know for theyr superior mobility (dragon,reaper missing the skill for exemple,wse dont have it but with teleport its make sense).

So what the reason they dont have it ? Giving speed for free at basic skill on every eldar infantry would make them broken ?

Also on your link of the youtube video i see the guardian was called dire avenger back then on elite mod with a really cool skin why it was removed ? is there a way to got this skin again ?
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sun 23 Jan, 2022 7:43 pm

Those abilities have been toned down because it gave a big advantage for map control.
The same reason why teleporting heroes start with their teleport ability on cooldown.
All Eldar T1 units have speed 5.5 while speed 5 is "normal" speed.
Fire dragons for example have speed 6.
Dark Reapers are speed 5. They are designed to be your long range heavy anti infantry fire.
It would not make much sense to make them fast too balance wise.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sun 23 Jan, 2022 9:42 pm

DoW 3 was about spamming abilities and guesswork. The perma fleet of foot was to help Eldar dodge the random attacks. DoW 2 is about map control and tactics. Mobility is a huge buff in a game like this and would be overpowered if given too much.
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Tue 25 Jan, 2022 7:49 am

and don't forget about webway gates
The ability to teleport your army across the map is insanely good if you have the micro for it
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Tue 25 Jan, 2022 7:42 pm

Dark Riku wrote:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P0m ... jOroM/edit
Here is a guide made by Torpid some time ago. Should be still pretty up to date.

pretty good guide tbh

Return to “Strategy Discussion”